With Managed Kubernetes® Service, OVH provides its own alternative to current offerings on the market
OVH today announced the availability of a ready-to-use Managed Kubernetes Service offering on its Public Cloud, designed to make it easier for all its customers to use Kubernetes within its infrastructure. Characterised by its ease of deployment, resilient and scalable applications, this service enables OVH’s customers to focus on their core business.
Kubernetes is currently used by tens of thousands of IT teams around the world to manage containerised workloads, from development to production. A recent survey by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) showed that Kubernetes is today the leading container management tool, used by 83% of organisations.
A managed Kubernetes service developed with the help of end-users
In order to enhance its cloud portfolio and provide its customers – whether DevOps organisations, systems administrators or IT decision makers – with a complete Kubernetes experience without the hassle associated with software and infrastructure maintenance, OVH launched a Private Beta program on 18th October 2018.
Following enthusiastic feedback from the first testing customers, OVH has expanded its Managed Kubernetes Service offering, which thus also includes the following:
- Load balancer, natively integrated with Kubernetes
- Customer-selectable security update policy
- Choice between Kubernetes release 1.11 and 1.12, the latest two versions provided by the various managed service offerings available on the market
Closest to the open-source spirit of Kubernetes
Kubernetes’ promises include providing a common standard among hybrid cloud and multi-cloud service providers. As one of the few CNCF-certified vendors in Europe, OVH has also decided to implement a Kubernetes alternative to existing offerings, so as to ensure freedom of choice, reversibility and transparency for users.
OVH Managed Kubernetes Service therefore stays true to open standards while at the same time leveraging the benefits of OVH Public Cloud, including its excellent performance/price ratio, to enable customers to:
- Use a standard open API benefiting from a large community and ecosystem – including over 627 businesses and projects listed at https://landscape.cncf.io/ – and also providing, of course, all of OVH’s uniqueadvantages, such as 24/7 support, free anti-DDoS protection and access to the leading European cloud provider’s own 16 Tb/s global fibre optic network.
- Get a managed offering which is fully Kubernetes-compatible - whereas other vendors have chosen to implement adaptations leading to incompatibility of certain tools, OVH Managed Kubernetes Service is fully compatible with Kubernetes. For example, it gives customers the possibility to use the original Kubernetes building block for access control (RBAC).
- Enjoy the pay-as-you-go model of OVH Public Cloud, which means a predictable, attractive pricing. OVH provides the Kubernetes orchestration software free of charge, along with the infrastructure needed to run it. Customers will therefore pay only for the storage (persistent volume) and compute infrastructure on which their containers will run, at the standard OVH Public Cloud and with the volume required. For example, a customer can have a CPU/RAM cluster with guaranteed constant performance starting at 22€ a month (ex VAT), whereas an infrastructure consisting of five work nodes with a total 35GB RAM and 10 vCores will cost 110€ a month (ex VAT). Customers wishing to use Kubernetes and deploy their containers on the OVH cloud will thus incur no additional fees for its use, as the incoming and outgoing bandwidth is included.
"At Saagie, we edit an orchestrator for datalabs that uses Kubernetes in an advanced way, we have tested managed Kubernetes services at other providers. OVH's Managed Kubernetes® Service solution is based on standards, which has given us a very good portability experience!" Youen Chéné, CTO at Saagie.
"We had already tried to set up our Kubernetes cluster internally but we couldn't do it completely, and we found it too complex to install and maintain. OVH's Managed Kubernetes Service offer allowed us to migrate our applications to Kubernetes without having to worry about installing and maintaining the platform. The beta phase of the Kube project went very smoothly thanks to the presence and reactivity of the OVH teams." Vincent Davy, DevOps at ITK.
"OVH's Managed Kubernetes Service offer provides all the performance necessary for the smooth running of our services, and we are sure to have no surprises on the invoice." Jérôme Balducci, CTO at Whoz.
Forthcoming developments of Managed Kubernetes Service
Already available to all OVH’s customers from the Gravelines data centre (France), Managed Kubernetes Service will be gradually deployed into the various OVH Public Cloud regions worldwide over the coming months. This extended geographic availability will reduce latency and increase the performance provided to customers.
Managed Kubernetes Service will soon be compatible with the vRack technology, enabling OVH customers to:
- Connect and build hybrid private infrastructures on a global multi-data centre level (OVH owns 28 data centres spanning four continents)
- Access Kubernetes clusters within the private network, in addition to the default public network access
- Connect all their existing resources on the OVH cloud but also on-premises using the OVHcloud Connect extension
For more information on Managed Kubernetes Service, please visit our website: https://www.ovhcloud.com/nl/public-cloud/kubernetes/